Få hjemmesiden læst højt ved hjælp af adgangforalle.dk

logo&link til dansk version af sonderborgkommune.dk Logo&link für sonderborgkommune.dk auf Deutch (link til tysk version af sonderborgkommune.dk på tysk)

Sønderborg Municipality

- In English

Søg på sonderborgkommune.dk

Search form

Driving Licence

It may be necessary to exchange your foreign driving license with a Danish driving license if you wish to drive a vehicle in Denmark.
Opdateret 07.06.2018

Driving license issued within the EU/EEA

A driver’s license issued within the EU/EEA ranks alongside a Danish driver’s license. It gives you permission to drive in Denmark, as long as the driving license is valid and you are under the age of 70.

A driving license acquired within the EU/EEA can be exchanged to an equivalent Danish driving license without taking a driving test.

Driving license issued in a non EU/EEA country (exchange)

If you have permanent residency in Denmark and have a driving license issued in a country outside of the EU/EEA, you must exchange your foreign driving license with a Danish driving license within 90 days. If you fail to do so, you may be banned from driving a vehicle in Denmark.

You can exchange your foreign driving license with a Danish driving license at the citizen service centre in the municipality.

You must bring along:

  • A medical certificate issued by your own general practitioner in Denmark
  • A passport photo
  • Your driving license
  • Valid passport

If you are not a Danish or Nordic citizen, you must also bring along a valid residence permit (or residence certificate if you are an EU citizen)

You must also bring a translation of your driving license if it is not issued in the Latin alphabet, or if a translation into German, English or French does not exist. The translation must be done by a translator who is approved by the National Commission of the Danish Police.

If you do not have a valid passport, you must bring your original baptism certificate or birth certificate, as well as photo ID.

Vehicle (re-registration)

You can bring your vehicle with you from your home country, but the vehicle must be re-registered - or you must obtain exemption.

If your vehicle is registered in your home country, you must pay a registration fee to the Danish tax authorities (SKAT). However, you can apply for permission to use your vehicle in Denmark without paying the registration fee to SKAT.